Sunday, September 10, 2006

MISSED!

This week it’s been 22 years. Two decades and more, since she left us for places better, for a land that is fairer than day.

22 years. Significant for me. You see, I’m 44. She’s been gone now … half my life!

Still loved. Still remembered. Still missed. Affectionately. Achingly. Agonizingly.

A month or so after my mother’s death, a friend asked me over coffee, “So, Abe, hope you don’t mind my asking: How is life, after your mother’s passing?”

I didn’t know what to say. “Life after Mom,” I said, “is like … life after Mom.” There is nothing it can be compared to, no analogy, no likeness. It’s one of a kind. Life will never be the same. A life after Mom!

Wishing you were somehow here again
Wishing you were somehow near
The Phantom of the Opera

Charles Hart, 1986

But the God who took her home at the age of 51, to people eternity with tender and gracious ones like her, has been faithful. He is the one who always consoled His chosen people, Israel.

"As one whom his mother comforts,
so I will comfort you;
And you will be comforted

in Jerusalem."
Isaiah 66:13

And surely, He comforts us who are bereaved.

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of mercies
and God of all comfort,
who comforts us
in all our affliction ….

2 Corinthians 1:3–4

Though we address God as “Father,” just as our Lord did, it must not be forgotten that frequently God takes on maternal characteristics.

… He brought us forth
[gave birth to us]
by the word of truth ….

James 1:18


How precious is
Your lovingkindness, O God!
And the children of men
take refuge
in the shadow of Your wings.
Psalm 36:7

God as mother? No, more than mother, for God declares ….

"Can a woman
forget her nursing child
And have no compassion
on the son of her womb?
Even these may forget,
but I will not forget you.
Behold, I have inscribed you
on the palms of My hands ….
"
Isaiah 49:15

Hart’s lines (set to music by Webber) are depressing ….

No more memories, no more silent tears ...
Help me say goodbye ....

To that I say one word: NEVER!!!!!

Always remembered, she will be. Always missed, she will be. And “Goodbye?” Nonsense! Maybe “See you later”! For see her later, I will. As a matter of fact, come to think of it, “later” is very relative, isn’t it? In the light of eternity that is drawing nigh, “later” is just round the corner. Maybe better is, “Good night!”

Sleep on, belovèd, sleep, and take thy rest;
Lay down thy head upon the Savior’s breast;
We love thee well, but Jesus loves thee best;
Good night!

Only “Good night,” belovèd—not “farewell!”
A little while, and all His saints shall dwell
In hallowed unison indivisible—
Good night!
Sarah Doudney, 1871

We will meet, we will reunite, we will rejoice again, this time forever, in the presence of our Savior.

... and God Himself
will be among them,
and He will wipe away
every tear from their eyes;
and there will no longer
be any death;
there will no longer
be any mourning,
or crying, or pain;
the first things have passed away.

Revelation 21:3–4

Amen and Amen!

Sometimes I can hardly wait
For that sweet, sweet someday
When I'll be swept away
To another time and another place.
Sandi Patti, 1973

Come, Lord Jesus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN. YOU ARE RIGHT. BOBBY