Saturday, April 14, 2007

FORTRESS


A few weeks ago, while traveling in the western Highlands of Scotland with some friends, we literally ran into this fascinating structure!

Eilean Donan (Scottish Gaelic meaning Isle of Donan) is a small island (pop. 1!) in Loch Duich, connected by a footbridge to the mainland. This isle was named for St. Donan (DonnĂ¡n of Eigg) martyred in that area in 617 A.D. On this parcel is the Eilean Donan Castle. The original edifice dates back from the early 13th century, for the most part a stronghold for various clans; the current restoration by the MacRae clan was undertaken in the early 1900s. For obvious reasons, Castle Eilean Donan has the distinction of being one of the most photographed castles in Scotland.

Enthralling monuments, these castles. And Scotland has a fair share of them—over 3,000, in various shapes, sizes, and states of preservation. Even the ruins look magnificent. Castle, from the Latin, castellum = fortress. These stone productions are both defensive (for protection from the enemy) and offensive (often located in hostile territory to control surrounding land). And, in many cases, castles evolved into residences for the lord or monarch who had them built.

I can’t help but think that the Christian’s “fortress” has all three of these characteristics: it is defensive; it is offensive; it is the home of the King! Indeed, the believer’s fortress is God Himself.

He who dwells in the shelter
of the Most High
Will abide in the shadow
of the Almighty.
I will say to the LORD,
“My refuge and my fortress,
My God, in whom I trust!”

Psalm 91:1–2

This fortress is defensive …

The LORD is my rock
and my fortress
and my deliverer,
My God, my rock,
in whom I take refuge.
My shield and
the horn of my salvation,
my stronghold.
I call upon the LORD,
who is worthy to be praised,
And I am saved from my enemies.

Psalm 18:2–3

This fortress is offensive.

In my distress
I called upon the LORD,
And cried to my God for help;
He heard my voice
out of His temple,
And my cry for help
before Him came into His ears.
Then the earth
shook and quaked;
And the foundations
of the mountains
were trembling
And were shaken,
because He was angry.
He sent out His arrows,
and scattered them [enemies],
And lightning flashes
in abundance, and routed them.

Psalm 18:6–7, 13


What can our response be to this great “Castle”, the God who is our fortress?

Praise …

The LORD lives,
and blessed be my rock;
And exalted be the God
of my salvation,
Therefore I will give thanks
to You among the nations, O LORD,
And I will sing praises
to Your name.

Psalm 18: 46, 49

And trust …

For You are my rock
and my fortress;
For Your name's sake
You will lead me and guide me.
How great is Your goodness,
Which You have stored up
for those who fear You,
Which You have wrought
for those who take refuge in You,
Before the sons of men!
Be strong and
let your heart take courage,
All you who hope in the LORD.

Psalm 31:3, 19, 24

Our great God, a Personal fortress, who loves us and give us victory!

Who will separate us
from the love of Christ?
Will tribulation, or distress,
or persecution, or famine,
or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
But in all these things
we overwhelmingly conquer
through Him who loved us.

Romans 8:35, 37
Amen!

No comments: