Sunday, August 05, 2007

ABODE!


I’ve joined the ranks of proud homeowners once more. All over again. Which is to say, it’s back to living in an empty dwelling, at least for a while. Before leaving for Scotland two years ago, I had gotten rid of most of my stuff, including my bed (I kept my books, though).

Come to think of it, not a bad idea sleeping on the floor. Better than having to deal with the agonizing choice between Sealy Posturepedic Crown Cruciatus Ultra Plush Youbetcher Microtek Pillowtop and Simmons Royal Kedavra Brookmere Boyoboy Fiberlux Plushier. To be or not to be with silk damask ticking? Like buying a used car … and almost as expensive.

All this to say … I’ve moved.

What a pain to get settled in! Here I am, working on my laptop, in—of all places—my bathroom. No internet yet, and the only place in the house where I can latch on to a neighbor’s wireless network (with his permission) is in my bathroom on the third floor, in one particular corner, next to the sink.

Yup, I’ve moved alright. But I’m not home yet!

That old song says it well:

This world is not my home,
I’m just a-passin’ thro’;
My treasures are laid up
Somewhere beyond the blue.
The angels beckon me
From heaven’s open door;
And I can’t feel at home
In this world anymore.

Just over in Glory Land
We’ll live eternally;
The saints on every hand
Are shouting victory
Their song of sweetest praise
Drifts back from Heaven’s shore
And I can’t feel at home
In this world anymore.
Albert E. Brumley, 1965

It’s probably a good thing not to get too comfortable in this temporary worldly abode. For if we’re just a-passin’ thro’, then really we’d better be preparing for our permanent heavenly dwelling. Right here, right now, getting ready for our homes there and then.

Therefore if you have been
raised up with Christ,
keep seeking the things above,
where Christ is,
seated at the right hand of God.
Set your mind
on the things above,
not on the things
that are on earth.
For you have died
and your life is hidden
with Christ in God.
When Christ, who is our life,
is revealed, then you also
will be revealed
with Him in glory.
Therefore consider the members
of your earthly body
as dead to immorality ….

Colossians 3:1–5

Getting ready for the new home: settling in to its priorities, living by its principles, oriented to its purposes.

And that “day of closing” on our new home is soon coming.

You too be patient;
strengthen your hearts,
for the coming of the Lord is near.
James 5:8

The keys are as good as in our hands. Jesus said:

Do not let your heart be troubled;
believe in God, believe also in Me.
In My Father’s house
are many dwelling places;
if it were not so,
I would have told you;
for I go to prepare a place for you.
If I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come again
and receive you to Myself,
that where I am,
there you may be also.

John 14:1–3

And so this life goes on, unsettled, uncertain, and often unstable. Fraught with the pains of sin and the pangs of a yearning for a better land.

But we will be home … soon. Hang in there!

Thro’ many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
‘Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

John Newton, 1779

Home! Amazing grace!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful reminder of where or "home" really is! I remember singing all the verses of the hymn, "This world is Not My Home" to my precious father as he hovered on the fine line between this world and the next. He was a mighty man of God!! As his body grew weaker..and weaker, his spirit, his inner man, his eternal self became stronger and stronger! He was completly fixed on God and breathed out encouraging scripture verses with his dying breaths. His last words to us, his daughters, was "I love you! Stay strong!" What a heritage he left us. What an incredible heritage God gives us, His children!!
Thank you for these life giving truths!
J, B, and B :-)