Sunday, November 25, 2007

REFRESHED!


Finally! The day rolled by and I graduated yesterday from the University of Aberdeen. Full of pomp and ceremony conducted in a pompous and ceremonial edifice, the second largest granite building in the world—Marischal College of the University of Aberdeen. Needless to say, the whole affair was in Latin, with subtitles in English, of course! “By the authority which the most high and mighty Princes have in the fullest measure bestowed on this beneficient University, I make you Doctor of Philosophy, as a sign of which I place this cap upon your head and pray to God, supreme in goodness and power, that this act may be blessed and of good augury,” proclaimed the Chancellor of the University as he tapped me on the head. I was then gowned by one of the sacrists at the ceremony in the toga rubra, the scarlet robe of doctoral graduates of the University, and awarded my degree. The John Knox cap, the traditional headgear for Scottish doctors, was a bonus. And so there I was, walking down the stairs from the podium, diploma in hand. Done!

Despite all the ostentation and parade of ritual—an ancient one in place in Aberdeen from about the 15th century—no bar was placed on cheering, of which there was much, for every student. In my cheering party were dear friends from High Church Hilton where I used to attend, during my sojourn in this fair city. I wish everyone had friends like these! Full of love and concern, abundantly overflowing in support and goodwill, these and the others who came later to a celebratory shindig, made my days in Aberdeen go by quickly, those dull, dark, dreary, and damp days. Their prayers sustained me, their care warmed me, their kindnesses refreshed me, their benevolence energized me. Brothers and sisters in Christ, indeed! What Paul requested of Philemon, was fulfilled for me through and by them.

Yes, brother, let me benefit
from you in the Lord;
refresh my heart in Christ.
Philemon 1:20

I was benefited and refreshed in Christ. And not only by these: I would add the many from lands far away, including family and those in the churches I’ve been a part of, without whose tangible love, verbal encouragement, and solicitous acts, this, my latest endeavor to obtain an education, would not have been successful. To all of them—Thank you!

I thank my God
in all my remembrance of you,
always offering prayer
with joy in my every prayer
for you all,
in view of your participation ….

Philippians 1:3–5

God’s grace has been superabundant, his blessings manifold, his mercies overflowing. And much of that through my fellow-believers in Christ. Through them I have seen Christ, time and again, as they obeyed the commandment to …

… be imitators of God,
as beloved children.
Ephesians 5:1

For those who have so depicted Christ, for those who have so demonstrated godliness, for those who have so manifested the fruit of the Spirit, the reward will be great.

For God is not unjust
so as to forget your work
and the love
which you have shown
toward His name,
in having ministered
and in still ministering
to the saints.
Hebrews 6:10

May we all, wherever we might be, find children of God being the arms and bearing the heart of Christ to us in word and deed.

Whoever speaks,
is to do so as one
who is speaking
the utterances of God;
whoever serves
is to do so as one
who is serving
by the strength
which God supplies;
so that in all things
God may be glorified ….

1 Peter 4:11

Amen!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Dr,Dr,Dr, Kuruvilla. We love you and thank God for all He has done for you.


Kuruvilla Household

Keith Ferguson said...

Abe,
Well done, my friend. May God richly bless your exciting journey in the days ahead. For Christ,
Keith

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!! May our good God continue to bless and use you for His Glory!! 2 Corin 2:14.

Anonymous said...

Hi Satish

Hearty Congratulations! We pray that HE will continue to use you richly for HIS Kingdom

The Ipe's (Suja)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you on all your acheivements.May the Almighty continue to use you and your ministry to reach the unreached.God bless-Sheela

Anonymous said...

Hi Abe
Congrats! Ya'll are a blessing wherever you go and may God continue to provide for your needs as you minister to HIS SHEEP

Baa for now...kenkause GOD IS GOOD

Anonymous said...

I can say "congratulations", but would rather sit back and say, "Wow, are you blessed!" You have used your gifts wisely and of this you should be glad. Keep using the many gifts that He has given you---what a faithful servant you are!