Sunday, April 20, 2008

REMNANT!


It wasn’t hard to find this church. Grace Bible Church, in Mena, Arkansas. Population: 5,637. Area: 7 square miles.

A 250-mile drive from ye olde city of Dallas. And … 76 miles from the nearest Starbucks! Mercy!

Mena sits on the Ouachita Mountains, the only range in the Western hemisphere, I am told, that runs East–West. Mena was named after Mena Janssen de Goeijen, wife of de Goeijen, a Dutch investor. This notable gentleman also got a neighboring town named after him. Unfortunately, in the process, the Dutch surname got somewhat mutilated: that metropolis is called DeQueen.

Nope, it wasn’t hard to find this church. If I had blinked real long (and, driving into town on a hot afternoon after a hectic week in Dallas, I was in frequent danger of blinking real long!)—if I had blinked real long, the pastor said, I’d have missed the entire town. But my name on the signboard woke me up and I slammed on the brakes! How often does one see one’s own name on the marquee when one is perambulating through Arkansas! Surely a brake-slamming kind of experience.

I had arrived!

Anyhow, the delightful bunch of God’s people in Mena, at Grace, reminded me again of the joy of ministry and made me forget my weariness, sleepiness, and Starbuckslessness. As great a company of believers as any, anywhere, anyplace. It has been a terrific weekend.

God’s people are everywhere! Isn’t that amazing! A remnant in Mena! And, instantly, one connects, no matter what one’s race, accent, passport, or epidermal melanin content is. God’s people are everywhere.
Elijah doubted that some time ago. He thought he was the only one remaining.

Or do you not know
what the Scripture says
in the passage about Elijah,
how he pleads
with God against Israel?
“Lord, they have killed
your prophets, they have
torn down your altars,
and I alone am left,
and they are seeking my life.”

Romans 11:2–3

While it is a little hard to compare my deStarbuckization as I fled Dallas for Mena to Elijah fleeing Jezebel, it’s all just a matter of degree (yeah, right!). I and ye olde prophet figured we were the only ones left in that part of the world—I in Arkansas, he in Ahab-land. But he was wrong, and so was I.

God responded to Elijah:

“I have kept for Myself
seven thousand men
who have not bowed
the knee to Baal.”
In the same way then,
there has also come to be
at the present time a remnant
according to God's gracious choice.

Romans 11:4–5

There is a believing “remnant” everywhere, chosen by God’s grace. In Kuwait, in India, in Houston, in Boston, in Scotland, and … in Mena. No Starbucks, but plenty of saints. And lots of love—I can vouch for that. Refreshed by the remnant in Mena. I think I can do without the caffeine!

For I have come to have
much joy and comfort
in your love,
because the hearts
of the saints have been
refreshed through you, brother.

Philemon 1:7

This is no humanly conceived and contrived refreshment that the remnant proffers. Rather, it is actually Christ’s refreshment that is offered through human agency. Same word. Same noun form.

Come to Me,
all who are weary
and heavy-laden,
and I will refresh you.
Take My yoke upon you
and learn from Me,
for I am gentle
and humble in heart,
and you will find
refreshment for your souls.
Matthew 11:28–29

I was refreshed by Christ, refreshed by His remnant in Mena. Who needs Starbucks?

No comments: