Sunday, July 20, 2008

TRESPASS!


Continuing on the theme of the Lord’s Prayer …

And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.

Matthew 6:12

The clause before this was asking God for “our daily bread.” We never forget our need for bread, do we? We never forget to eat. We never forget our need for shelter. Or any of our other basic necessities. We never forget them. How about our sins, those debts, that missing of the target of God’s perfect standard of holiness?

Sins? What sins? Me sin? When?

That’s exactly what one good lady told me the other day; she, apparently, doesn’t sin anymore and claimed a clear conscience! I quoted her the line from a famous philosopher (that is to say, I’ve no idea who said it): “Madam,” I disputed, “There are no such things as clear consciences; there are only short memories.”

If we say that we have no sin,
we are deceiving ourselves
and the truth is not in us.
1 John 1:8

Instead …

If we confess our sins,
He is faithful and righteous
to forgive us our sins
and to cleanse us
from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9


I like the “all” in there. That vast net catches all the sins I was ignorant of, as well as all those that have “become extinct” because of my short memory. “All” unrighteousness. All!

Needless to say, when the believer asks God for forgiveness for sins, this is not the salvation-forgiveness we seek, that enables us to enter the family of God, be born-again, and have eternal life. That is achieved once for all when one puts one’s trust in the finished work of Christ on the cross.

Therefore there is now
no condemnation for those
who are in Christ Jesus.
Romans 8:1

On the other hand, this forgiveness sought in the Lord’s Prayer is the relationship-forgiveness that restores the broken relationship between Father and child of God. This request for pardon is necessarily a daily affair, as often as we sin.

He who conceals his transgressions
will not prosper,
but he who confesses
and forsakes them
will find compassion.
Proverbs 28:13

So when we pray, we are not to forget our sins, but to confess them. In the light of God’s absolute holiness, we are miserable sinners indeed and stand in need of God’s pardon.

I acknowledged my sin to you,
and my iniquity I did not hide.
I said, “I will confess
my transgressions to the LORD.”
And you forgave the guilt of my sin.
Psalm 32:5

In the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus links this forgiveness with our own treatment of those who have sinned against us. Now, those sins we remember. Oh, yes. Forget them? Of course, not!

He hurt me! She cut me! He betrayed me! She stabbed me!

This prayer is saying in effect: Yes, I’ve been hurt, cut, betrayed and stabbed. But, Oh Lord, I remember my own sins. No one has done to me as much I have done to you, sinning in my thoughts, words, and deeds.

So we must forgive those who sin against us. The pardon we have received from God, we must extend to others also. Indeed, that’s part of what it means to be like Christ—those who forgive imitate God, their Father, the Forgiver par excellence.

Be kind to one another,
tender-hearted,
forgiving each other,
just as God in Christ
also has forgiven you.
Therefore be imitators of God,
as beloved children.

Ephesians 4:32–5:1

In other words, when we come to this line of the Lord’s Prayer, pray with compassion!

No comments: