Sunday, August 03, 2008

EXAMPLE!


I’m one of those who believe that God has allotted us a certain finite number of heartbeats. I’m in no hurry to get to the end of my allotment. The slower I can get my heart to beat, the happier I am. So when someone suggested I go on the “Canopy Tour,” just the mention of those two words set back my lifespan a month (not to mention the ping-pong game that made me lose almost a year—another story, entirely). But I get ahead of myself ….

There I was in Mt. Hermon, California, one of the speakers for a Dallas Seminary-run conference. Mt. Hermon, blissfully nestled amongst the redwoods, and, unlike ye olde DFW, basking in the 60s and 70s. Exhilarating!

Anyhow, one of the recreation activities at Mt. Hermon was this Canopy Tour, introduced there a month ago—one of the few such tours in the US, and one of the very few set among redwoods anywhere in the world. By means of a series of zip-lines, the “tourist” soars about 150 feet up in the air, amongst the canopy of those grand old trees. Not exactly an activity yours faithfully is prone to engage in. But I did. A month-old course? Gosh, how do I know the cables will hold? Scary!

That’s where I met George. In his late-eighties (Yup! That’s right!), this sprightly young gentleman offered to chaperone the rest of us young bucks (there’s that octogenarian in sun-glasses). Not that he had done this before. He hadn’t. But, I tell you, that George is one brave dude! He actually went first, ahead of us, paving the way, proving the cables, smoothening out kinks, blazing trails, majestically defying gravity 150 feet above terra firma!

I was literally shamed into following him! To make a long story short, I did and survived the nail-biting “tour” to tell the tale. Yeah, I’m going to die a decade early now, but hey! it was worth it.

In these days in our churches where every activity is separated by age and generation, I’m glad I was grouped with George, and not left alone with Reg “Redshirt” who was seen scribbling his last will and testament with a trembling hand upon a stray napkin before he donned the harness for the Canopy Tour. Not George. He was an example.

… join in following my example,
and observe those who walk
according to the pattern
you have in us.

Philippians 3:17

The biblical model of spiritual formation includes imitation. Following those who follow the Lord. Walking in their footsteps. Attending to their example. Those who go before us have much to teach us. And we, we have much to learn.

Be imitators of me,
just as I also am of Christ.

1 Corinthians 11:1

And we, in turn, are to be examples to others of what it means to live a life in Christ.

You also became imitators of us
and of the Lord,
having received the word
in much tribulation
with the joy of the Holy Spirit,
so that you became an example
to all the believers
in Macedonia and in Achaia.

1 Thessalonians 1:6–7

No matter what our station in life, stage of spirituality, status of body, or stiffness of joint, we believers are to be an example.

… in all things show yourself
to be an example of good deeds,
with purity in doctrine, dignified,
sound in speech
which is beyond reproach,
so that the opponent
will be put to shame,
having nothing bad
to say about us.

Titus 2:7–8

Let’s imitate! And let’s be exemplary ourselves!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, my stomach was flopping as I read and then....I got the message--an example---Oh, I hope and pray that I am a good one. :)
You are!

Anonymous said...

great illustration.