Sunday, November 01, 2009

BODY!


For the past year, I’ve had the delightful privilege of preaching about a couple of Sundays a month at a local church going through a pastoral transition. That “gig” has ended, with their identification of the next senior pastor in their 100-odd-year history. And so, with his arrival imminent, with the increasing demands on my time at Dallas Seminary, and, particularly, with a couple of writing projects that have fast-approaching deadlines, I made last Sunday my final one in their pulpit.

I had decided sometime ago that my final day there would be a “dress down” occasion for me—no bowtie, no jacket, no tucked-in shirt (which is my idiosyncratic norm)! So, imagine my surprise when I walked into church last Sunday looking pretty casual and suddenly spied a whole host of distinguished looking gentlemen clad in bowties of various species—bowties that tie, bowties that clip, cut-off regular ties masquerading as bowties, cardboard and Scotch-tape varieties, etc. How I laughed at the odd turn of events that had me looking pretty shabby in the glorious light of these impeccably attired churchmen! May their tribe increase!

But it was such a heartwarming gesture from the body of Christ!

Now you are Christ's body,
and individually members of it.
1 Corinthians 12:27

And the body of Christ is beautiful, indeed!

How beautiful the feet that bring
The sound of good news
And the love of the King
How beautiful the hands that serve
The wine and the bread
And the sons of the earth
How beautiful is the body of Christ
Twila Paris © 1990


The beautiful body of Christ that reflects Christ’s own beauty.

How beautiful the heart that bled
That took all my sin and bore it instead;
How beautiful the tender eyes
That choose to forgive and never despise;
How beautiful is the body of Christ!


I was grateful for this church having given me the delight of laughing and enjoying life in Christ with them, all this past year. It was a wonderful season for me: I was blessed much; I learnt much; I got to know and love my God more as a result! This body of Christ encouraged me, tolerated me, prayed for me, loved me (and fed me, too, I might add!).

May the incoming pastor have as much fun as I had, and even more!

I also got a literal basketful of cards last Sunday. They are all keepers and will be treasured. Those wonderful people in that church will continue to be loved and will surely be missed. I thank God for them and their leaders. They will all continue to be close to my heart. The bonds I have made there will never be broken; the people I have learnt to love will be dear brothers and sisters in Christ for all eternity.

Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is from God;
and everyone who loves
is born of God and knows God.
1 John 4:7

I will count it a privilege to have been a small part of God’s great work in that precious community of His people here in that corner of Dallas and I praise God for His having allowed our lives to intersect.

How beautiful the radiant bride
Who waits for her Groom
With His light in her eyes;
How beautiful when humble hearts give
The fruit of pure lives so that others may live;
How beautiful is the body of Christ!

Let’s not forget to be involved. Deeply involved with the body of Christ. The beautiful body of Christ!

No comments: