Sunday, December 13, 2009

UNDO!


Did you ever wish for an “undo” button for life? Did you?

But I get ahead of myself …

This is the story about a cake. A Swiss madrisa. A lush conglomeration of fruits, cream, and nuts, with a little flour and lots of sugar. Healthy. (NOT!)

I’ve already bought six of these for various and sundry parties this Christmas season.

Yesterday was a day that sped by so fast, I don’t know what happened. Engaged in a writing project, I suddenly noticed it was 5:45 pm. And I’ve gotta be at a party 25 miles away at 6:30. It’s the PhD Students’ Christmas Party and I’m on DTS’s PhD Studies Committee. Oh, dear.

Shower. Check. Shave. Check. Etc., etc.

Rushed down to the garage. OK, I need a white elephant for the gift exchange. What shall it be? Yup, moisturizers and soaps. (That will help clear my garage a bit, too). Check. Gift bag for the hostess, a colleague’s wife. More skin stuff. Check. Oh, no, forgot the cake. That Swiss madrisa. Rushed up a flight of stairs. Back down again. Then I forgot my Bible. (Yup, I’m giving a season-appropriate devotional to the assembled faculty/students and their spouses.) Up two flights and down. Check. Ready to go.

It’s a horrible evening. Cold. Wet. And the traffic on Hwy 75 is as horrible as the weather. Crawling traffic for miles leading up to the exit for a major mall and crawling traffic for miles beyond it. Both ways.

It’s 6:25.

Finally things clear and we speed up.

That’s when it happened. The guy in front suddenly braked hard. Screeech! And he swerved into the shoulder to avoid hitting the car in front. Slam went my brakes, too. I missed him by 2 inches. He stopped. I stopped. He had the presence of mind to stop. I had the presence of mind to stop.

But that Swiss madrisa. It did not have the presence of mind to stop.

The Swiss madrisa kept on going even after I had stopped and the guy in front had stopped and everybody else had stopped. It just kept on going. Off the front seat. And on to the floor. Where it finally came to an ominous halt and a sad demise.

Once upon a time, it used to be a cake! No longer. RIP!

Where’s the undo button when you need it? Gosh, MS Word has it, Photoshop has it, Excel has it, Powerpoint, and every other piece of software. Why not life?

There is. An undo button for life.

And it will be hit once. And everything will be back where it ought to be. In its right place. Unbroken. Pristine. Perfect.

Jesus Christ is the one with the undo button.

“Behold, the tabernacle of God
is among men,
and He will dwell among them,
and they shall be His people,
and God Himself will be among them,
and He will wipe away
every tear from their eyes;
and there will no longer be any death;
there will no longer be any mourning,
or crying, or pain;
the first things have passed away.”
And He [the Lord Jesus Christ]
who sits on the throne said,
“Behold, I am making all things new.”
Revelation 21:3–5

One day. Soon. That’s what He came to begin the first time. And that’s what He’ll come to finish the second time. Soon.

Hang in there.

Oh, and the cake? Well, guess what? I get to eat the whole mangled mess all by my sweet self. I can tell it's gonna be a great Christmas!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abe, what a shame about the Madrisa, still it could have been worse, it wasn't a pavlova!
hope you have a merry christmas friend.
Malcolm

Abe Kuruvilla said...

Thanks, Malcolm.

I liked the lamington better than the pavlova.

Stay cool, over there!

Abe

Anonymous said...

Excellent lead in with the Madrisa and the reality of EVERYONE wanting an undo. Only with Christ!

Dave M

Hn said...

Dear AK
The blog UNDO was as usual precise witty and informative. Perhaps one of your best
Regards
Hari

Anonymous said...

That was sooooooo coool!
Yup, we have Jesus as our "undo" button....

Luv
suja