Sunday, May 09, 2010

THANKS!

Yesterday another 400 of Dallas Seminary’s best graduated with Certificates of Graduate Studies, Master of Arts degrees, Master of Theology, Master of Sacred Theology, Doctor of Ministry, and Doctor of Philosophy. Commencement exercises were conducted at Prestonwood Baptist Church north of town. And I had the privilege of reading Scripture for the occasion. (Yup, that’s Prof. Howard Hendricks on the right, eye-patch and all—more about him next week.)

A friend of mine took this photo just after I had finished reading Psalm 100 during the ceremonies. At the end of the Psalm, I made the declaration that is customary when Scripture is read in public: “This is the Word of God.” And I went ahead and uttered the usual congregational response to that declaration as well: “Thanks be to God!”

Ted caught me just as I was speaking that last phrase: “Thanks be to God!”—the people of God thanking their God for the Word of God. (Thanks, Ted!)

Why thank God for His Word?

Sir Henry W. Baker (1861), in crisp poetic fashion, announced the many reasons for our gratitude to the Giver of the Word.

Lord, Thy Word abideth,
And our footsteps guideth;
Who its truth believeth
Light and joy receiveth.

Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path
Your word I have treasured in my heart,
That I may not sin against You.
Psalm 119:105, 11

When our foes are near us,
Then Thy Word doth cheer us,
Word of consolation,
Message of salvation.

Many are my persecutors
and my adversaries,
Yet I do not turn aside
from Your testimonies.
My soul languishes
for Your salvation;
I wait for Your word.
Psalm 119:157, 81

When the storms are o’er us,
And dark clouds before us,
Then its light directeth,
And our way protecteth.

My soul weeps because of grief;
Strengthen me
according to Your word.
If Your law had not been my delight,
Then I would have perished
in my affliction.
Psalm 119:28, 92

Who can tell the pleasure,
Who recount the treasure,
By Thy Word imparted
To the simple hearted?

How sweet are Your words
to my taste!
Yes, sweeter than honey
to my mouth!
I have rejoiced in the way
of Your testimonies,
As much as in all riches.
Psalm 119:103, 14

Word of mercy, giving
Succor to the living;
Word of life, supplying
Comfort to the dying!

This is my comfort in my affliction,
That Your word has revived me.
Trouble and anguish
have come upon me,
Yet Your commandments
are my delight.
Psalm 119:50, 143

O that we, discerning,
Its most holy learning,
Lord, may love and fear Thee,
Evermore be near Thee!

Give me understanding,
that I may observe Your law
And keep it with all my heart.
How blessed are those
who observe His testimonies,
Who seek Him with all their heart.
Psalm 119:34, 2

And so it is good and proper for all of God’s people to be thankful to Him for Scripture—the beautiful and wonderful words of life.

I shall give thanks to You
with uprightness of heart,
When I learn
Your righteous judgments.
At midnight I shall rise
to give thanks to You
Because of Your righteous ordinances.
Psalm 119:7, 62

While the people of God are to be thankful for everything, this is a good reminder: For his Word, too, we must give thanks. Let’s not forget to do that, shall we?

I shall delight in Your statutes;
I shall not forget Your word.
Psalm 119:16

“This is the Word of God.”
“Thanks be to God!”

Indeed!

No comments: