Saturday, June 26, 2010

WEARY!


The other day it ended. Finally. The longest tennis match in world history concluded in Wimbledon last Friday. American John Isner beat Frenchman Nicolas Mahut after three days of agony and strife! Final score of the fifth set: 70–68!

Neither man could break the other’s serve, and Wimbledon does not permit a tiebreak in the fifth set. So on it went, for 8 hours and eleven minutes of playing time (46 hours and 39 minutes after the first point was played two days prior). At the end of it all, they had bounced the ball 2,976 times before serves, played 2,198 strokes, scored 980 points, and smashed 215 aces. Records tumbled galore.

When it finally concluded, Isner dropped down to the court, rolled on his back and kicked his legs in the air. I would, too. The other guy covered his head with a towel. My sentiments exactly.
183 games total—138 in the fifth set alone.

“I’m tired watching this,” acknowledged three-time Wimbledon champion John McEnroe. Isner’s coach, Craig Boynton, kept yelling throughout, “That's the right stuff, kid!” They say he lost his voice. Isner, at the end of it, was incoherent. McEnroe suggested calling medics.

Tired? They were dying. “These guys are going to be tired the next day, next week, next month,” Roger Federer said. It was an epic!

“I was worried,” confessed Isner's mother, Karen. “My friends had to sort of hold me back, because I was kind of inclined to go on the court and go, ‘OK. That’s it. We’re done here.’” (Trust Moms to do the right thing!)

After the marathon, Isner and Mahut tried to recover as best they could, with ice baths and massages, by drinking and eating plenty. Andy Roddick, the 2003 U.S. Open champion, went out and got an assortment of takeout food for Isner and his coach, including pizzas, chicken and mashed potatoes.

Well, Isner returned the next day. He had to. He had another game scheduled against Dutchman Thiemo de Bakker.
He lost. In—get this—the shortest match in Wimbledon this year: 6–0, 6–3, 6–2, in 1 hour 14 minutes flat. Our man Isner, hit no aces Friday. He was … tired.

“I’ve never been this exhausted before,” Isner admitted. “Mentally and physically, I was obviously a bit drained. I was just low on fuel out there. Didn't really have a chance.”

Weary! Just living is wearying!

I am weary with my sighing;
Every night I make my bed swim,
I dissolve my couch with my tears.
Psalm 6:6

But there’s good news.

Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The Everlasting God, the LORD,
the Creator of the ends of the earth
Does not become weary or tired.
Isaiah 40:28

And this un-wearyable God relieves our weariness.

He gives strength to the weary ….
Though youths grow weary and tired,
And vigorous young men stumble badly,
Yet those who wait for the LORD
Will gain new strength;
They will mount up
with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired,
They will walk and not become weary.
Isaiah 40:29–31

This God specializes in tending to His weary children. Jesus explicitly declared that He was the respite for the weary.

“Come to Me, all who are
weary and heavy-laden,
and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you
and learn from Me,
for I am gentle
and humble in heart,
and you will find rest
for your souls.”
Matthew 11:28–29

Not ice-packs, massages, fast food, calorific drinks, or Mom’s TLC.

Only God!

No comments: