Saturday, September 04, 2010

REMEMBER!

Well, folks, here it is: aBeLOG installment #262. Magic number. Five years of rambling thoughts and random Scripture. Dispatches from Plano, Dallas, Paris, Aberdeen, London, Berlin, Leipzig, Munich, Zurich, Sydney, Kuala Lumpur, Vienna, Rome, Florence, …. A ramble indeed.

I appreciate all who have stayed with me throughout this 5-year ramble. No promises for the future, but I’ll try. Thus far, I’ve been buoyed by the dubious distinction of not having missed a single weekend of the aBeLOG. I am thankful I’ve made it up to #262 successfully.

Doing the aBeLOG has compelled me weekly to examine closely what’s going on around me. God is everywhere and in everything, omnipresent that He is. And it’s been great, having to look for God’s workings and doings and sayings in Scripture, and to connect them with His handiwork in the world, in my life, in my circumstances. It’s becoming a habit and—for a change!—a good habit at that: reflective living.

I’ve often felt that one of the gaping holes in our lives is the lack of reflection. Too busy, we are, with stuff going on all day, all week, all year. And before we know it, time has slipped by, age has caught up, weariness has set in, and there it is—an unreflective life.

God warned His people over and over again about this. Reflection and remembrance was to be part of their lifestyle.

Remember the days of old,
consider the years of all generations.
Ask your father,
and he will inform you,
your elders, and they will tell you.
Deuteronomy 32:7

Reflect on the deliverance of God.

You shall remember that
you were a slave in the land of Egypt,
and the LORD your God
brought you out of there
by a mighty hand and
by an outstretched arm;
Deuteronomy 5:15

Reflect on the power of God, so as to be able to face the dread of the future.

… you shall not be afraid of them;
you shall well remember
what the LORD your God did
to Pharaoh and to all Egypt.
Deuteronomy 7:18

Remember, that we may remain faithful.

Beware that you do not forget
the LORD your God by
not keeping His commandments …
Deuteronomy 8:11

Remember the provision of God, even in times of plenty, that we may be ready, when the dark days come.

But you shall
remember the LORD your God,
for it is He who is giving you
power to make wealth ….
Deuteronomy 8:18

Reflect on the discipline of God, that we may not fall again.

Remember, do not forget
how you provoked the LORD your God
to wrath in the wilderness ….
Deuteronomy 9:7

Reflect on the mercy of God, that we may be merciful to others.

You shall remember
that you were a slave
in the land of Egypt,
and the LORD your God redeemed you;
therefore I command you this today.
Deuteronomy 15:15

And then, God’s people beseech Him not to forget, that He may remember His promises and deal graciously with them.

Remember Your servants,
Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob;
do not look at the stubbornness
of this people or at their wickedness
or their sin.
Deuteronomy 9:27

And, thankfully, ours is a God who never forgets.

For the LORD your God is
a compassionate God;
He will not fail you nor destroy you
nor forget the covenant with your fathers
which He swore to them.
Deuteronomy 4:31

What a relief—He doesn’t forget! The One who gave His Son for us always remembers. So must we.

Live reflectively.

And, in the process, I’ve sharpened my Photoshop skills!

11 comments:

John Hilber said...

Congratulations Abe! And thank you for sharing of your life. You forgot your reflections from "Down Under" in your geo-list; there are no doubt others as well--incredible.

bekahbee7 said...

I am a newer follower of aBeLOG, but I just wanted to thank you for it! I enjoy reading your thoughts and insights, as well as being challenged and encouraged by the Word through your writings. Thanks!

Abe Kuruvilla said...

Thanks, John. I'll add on Sydney (and Kuala Lumpur).

Eric Fan said...

Congratulations on the milestone, Abe!

...I guess that means I have been reading it weekly almost that long, too. :-)

Thank you for the thoughtful reflection each week!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on coming this far & I praise God for HIS mercies coz they are new every morning!
Thank you for all the time and everything else you've invested into this coz I can tell you for sure, that this has blessed me.

Luv and God bless
Suja

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Abraham, I have to tell you this has been true blessing for me. I pray that The Lord will continue to bless you with new thoughts and insights.
Thank you& Prayers

Anonymous said...

262 blessings for me and my family. Don't stop. thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your wonderful and insightful words of wisdom you have faithfully shared with all of us these past 5 years. Thanking God for you.

Unknown said...

I have looked forward to each blog over the last 5 years-insightful mix of scripture,verse and reflection.
Keep going,Abe-and Godbless

Abe Kuruvilla said...

Thanks, RC, and the rest!

The Assurance said...

Thanks Abe ! I have been following since your first blog..! Though some times I catch up all the blogs in one day..! But always gained an insight! Thanks for your work..! Ebby