Saturday, November 13, 2010

EFFICACIOUS!


The other day, I walked into the room of a patient. A sprightly young lady. “You don’t know me,” she said, “but I know you.”

“Yeah?” I asked, on my guard. What had I done wrong now?

(It’s that guilty conscience, you know, which—along with cricket being played on the other side of globe—keeps me awake at night. Guilt and cricket. Nice combination!)

Anyhow, I was wondering what I was getting into. I sat down.

And what I heard made my day!

Apparently this patient of mine had gotten a divorce from her husband a year ago. She goes to church. He doesn’t—he wasn’t a believer. She is. And I happened to be preaching in her church earlier this year. That particular Sunday, her ex-husband turned up.

Yours faithfully preached (I’m not even sure what!). And that gentleman—Mr. Ex-H, got saved!

He placed his trust in Jesus Christ as his only God and Savior, believing that Jesus had paid for his sins on the cross, dying for him. A miracle.

For God so loved the world,
that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him
shall not perish,
but have eternal life.
John 3:16

Life changed. Dramatically.

I’ll cut to the chase. My patient and her ex are dating again. And I was told that I could expect a wedding invitation soon. Correction: a “re-wedding” invitation.

Amazing.

But then again, maybe not so amazing. Why should I be surprised that God’s Word works? And works in amazing ways?

For I am not ashamed of the gospel,
for it is the power of God
for salvation
to everyone who believes.
Romans 1:16

Indeed, it is the power of God! And preaching is the instrument of God. And all who proclaim, formally and informally, the agents of God.

For the word of the cross
is foolishness
to those who are perishing,
but to us who are being saved
it is the power of God.
1 Corinthians 1:18

No, no reason to be amazed at all. Delighted, yes. Gratified, sure. Thrilled, of course. Amazed, not really!

God had already made it clear a long time ago that His Word is potent.

We preach Christ crucified,
… to those who are the called,
both Jews and Greeks,
Christ the power of God
and the wisdom of God.
1 Corinthians 1:23–24

Now the fact of the matter is that we don’t always experience the potency of God’s Word or see its punch or recognize its profit as we proclaim. Yes, I learnt about what had happened in this couple’s life about a year after I had preached.

But I am thankful for being told what God had done in and with and through His Word. Made my day!

So for those who are faithfully proclaiming, from pulpit, from office, from classroom, from coffeehouses, from kitchens, …, keep on. Keep on. God’s Word is efficacious.

“For as the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
And do not return there
without watering the earth
And making it bear and sprout,
And furnishing seed to the sower
and bread to the eater;
So will My word be
which goes forth from My mouth;
It will not return to Me empty,
Without accomplishing what I desire,
And without succeeding
in the matter for which I sent it.”
Isaiah 55:10–11

God’s Word. Always potent. Never powerless.

We might not see immediate fruit, instant results, imminent change. But God is working. And His Word is always vital, never void.

Let’s keep preaching, proclaiming, promoting God’s Word.

The efficacious power of God ….

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a beautiful reminder of the POWER OF THE CROSS.

Praise God for His continued work in the lives of people all over the world. Thank you for faithfully preaching His word.

Anonymous said...

Prsise God again and again.

let more people will be able to come to know Him through your gift
of preaching. Thank you for doing
such a wonderful job of preaching,
teaching and treating
God's blessings

Eric Fan said...

A wonderful reminder, indeed! Thanks for sharing and making my day, too.

I also appreciate the masterful picture: the idea, the carefully chosen passage (1 Corinthians 7), and the shadow of the wedding band forming a very stylish heart. That is a real treat. Perhaps you should add something about photography to your "ABOUT ME" list.

Eric

Abe Kuruvilla said...

Thanks, Eric. I'll confess that that picture is not my handiwork.
Abe

Steve Allen said...

Thanks again Abe for an encouraging little post. For those of us who love to preach but who get to do it only rarely, it's great to be urged to keep at it.

It's also good to hear about your love of cricket!

Abe Kuruvilla said...

Steve,

I'm sorry about the IND vs. AUS series recently concluded. :-)

Abe

Leigh Mc said...

Efficacious. Good word. Great story. And an unspeakably good God. Thanks for the reminder to keep faith in the telling...

Abe Kuruvilla said...

Thanks, Leigh. God is good ... all the time!

Anonymous said...

Hi

This is what my prayer for you has been always...."Lord use this man of yours to do gr8 things for you"!
Praise God

Luv
Suja