Saturday, December 24, 2011

GIFT!



It’s a bit late today, but you can begin planning for next year.

Get a yurt. For the one who has everything. Only $75,000. A yurt, a luxury tent that Mongol nomads use. With one-of-a-kind designer down-filled pillows and even a crystal chandelier (see picture). In a yurt. Only $75K.

Or you could get a $125,000 custom library with custom-carpeting, objets d’art, framed prints, and 250 books of your choice.

Or a $420,000 international flower show tour for ten that goes through Switzerland, Athens, Avignon (France), and Chelsea (London).

All available from Neiman Marcus. All in their Christmas book, an annual display of pricey fantasy gifts, first published in 1926.

Oh, and for $1 million you can buy his-and-her dancing water fountains designed by the company that did the fancy water spouts at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Of course, you’ll need an estate to install that.

I’d accept a $400,000 limited-edition Ferrari. Or a $45,000 ping-pong table.

The cars, by the way, sell out every year, says Neiman Marcus’ vice president of corporate communications, Ginger Reeder. So plan early.

Other stuff that Neiman Marcus has offered over the years? His-and-hers ancient Egyptian sarcophagi (1971; a museum purchased it … and found a mummy in one!). A camel (1967). A bag of uncut diamonds (1972). A thoroughbred racing horse farm with 12–15 horses (2008; $10 million). A zepellin (2004; also $10 million). Ten thousands gallons of Aramis cologne (1969). Mr. Potato Head covered in Swarovski crystals (2004; $8,000).

Someone needs to give me one of these odd things. Instead I get JIF. Woe is me!

I’m gonna have to have a serious talk with Santa.

Come to think of it, I think I’ve already gotten a far better gift than any of those. Making me richer than I can ever be.

For you know the
grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
that though He was rich,
yet for your sake He became poor,
so that you through His poverty
might become rich.
2 Corinthians 8:9

Rich. That’s what I’ve become, because of this Gift. The Gift of a Person who ransomed me.

… the Son of Man
did not come to be served,
but to serve, and to give His life
a ransom for many.
Matthew 20:28

Ransomed from the penalty and power and (one day) from the presence of sin. Were it not for this Gift, I’d be in big trouble.

For the wages of sin is death …,
Romans 6:23

Without the Gift, death would separate me forever from God.

… but the free gift of God is
eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

All because of God the Giver who loved me.

For God so loved the world,
that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him
shall not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3:16

And Jesus the Gift who gave himself for me.

He humbled Himself
by becoming obedient
to the point of death,
even death on a cross.
Philippians 2:8

And so now I’m rich.

… blessed …
with every spiritual blessing
in the heavenly places in Christ,
Ephesians 1:3

And so I don’t need no Ferrari, no yurt, no sarcophagus, no fancy fountain.
  
I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

Rhea F. Miller, 1922

(I still could use JIF!)

No comments: